This interactive game-type book explores feelings by following the story of a young boy who is bullied because he loves ballerinas and loves to dress in tutus.
Through a question-and-answer picture format, the child explores the feelings that the main character is experiencing at each point in the story by picking the picture that best shows that feeling.
Two challenge pages follow the story and encourage the child to:
– identify and express different feelings in acceptable ways
– ask and answer questions in order to seek help, get information, or clarify something that is not understood
Supports common core standards by teaching children to:
– follow words from left to right, top to bottom and page by page
– recognize that spoken words are represented in written language by specific sequences of letters
– understands that words are separated by spaces in print
– develop strong comprehension and vocabulary skills by listening to, and reading, stories
The child will also subtly be exposed to:
– the concept of bullying
– making unpopular decisions
– trusting their own feelings and choices
– accepting the diversity of human beings with respect